Tuesday, November 20, 2012

So you want to be a Wiccan ... why?

I have found a really informative group on facestalk - Wiccan Moms 'Year and a Day Study Group'. I'm really looking forward to this - it will help me figure all this stuff out - and focus my energies on where to start or look. Everything I do there will be its' own post - (insert post link here). The study group starts Dec 3.

In the meantime, a new friend sent me some questions to think about... so I will answer them here.. and then I will look at them again in 6 months time :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who are new to Wicca, it is important to carefully consider the following questions....
- Why do you want to become and to be a Wiccan/Witch?


I don't know if I want to be 'Wiccan' or a 'Witch'. What I do want is to become more in tune with the universe. It fills me with awe and wonder and I want to understand my place in it. I want to feel happier and more relaxed, for some reason I seem to think that studying the Wiccan path will lead me there.  

- How do you define Wicca?


Well without knowing anything specific, I would personally define Wicca as a pagan religion pre-dating Christianity. It is about being in tune with the universe and channeling energy towards personal goals and the greater good - but not in a way that harms anyone.


- Do you consider the words Wicca and Witch to refer to the same path, or do these words refer to a pair of parallel paths?


Both words I think are 'new' words for paganism - an old earth religion that predates science and mass organised religions. I could be wrong and I accept that :) Both have their connotations - and Witch just makes me think of Disney. :) If you remove the negative connotations I think they mean the same path. I will be interested to see how my perception changes over the coming year.

- What do you seek to get out of Wicca/Witchcraft?

I am seeking that oneness with the universe that I crave. To go above the petty ego-driven lifestyle and 'find myself'. I want to feel more in control of my life. Which sounds silly, cos we never have control over our lives.. maybe I can just contribute to it!

-What do you seek to contribute to Wicca/Witchcraft?

Wow. I don't know what I can contribute. Maybe this blog? They say you learn better through teaching, so maybe I can help everyone else by asking questions and really trying to understand everything. i can also contribute positive thoughtforms and good energy in the universe by overcoming my own negtivity.

- In or out of the Broom Closet...Which is right for you?

I might be a bit of both - depending on the maturity of my audience.

- How do you define religion and spirituality?

ooook. So we are getting existential here? Well I think religion is the organised external form of spirituality. Religion has its negative connotations too - Which group do you belong to? Would you die for it? For me spirituality is that connection with God or the Universe on a personal, internal level.

- Are these words synonymous or do they refer to different things? 

I believe religion and spirituality are not synonymous - but I also believe that there is a great number of people who would say otherwise. I respect that. But they are wrong ;p

- What does it mean to be a Wiccan/Witch?

To follow the pagan path. Do no harm to others. To recognise one's place in the Universe. To do magick as a form of channeling energy towards the good. (p.s. I like magick with a k :) It suits Wicca. Whereas magic suits magicians ;p)

- Why do you feel that Wicca is the right path for you?
 
From what I have read or come across over the years, it feels right. This question reminds me of that Elephant story - and Wicca may just be the most closely aligned to my perception of the Elephant. There are elements of Wicca and pagan or even new age spirituality that speak to me on a primal level :)

- Are you drawn to a specific Goddess, God, and/or pantheon of Deities?

No I am not as yet - I know little about the lot of them - maybe something will click soon. Maybe not.

- Why is the pentagram the holy symbol of Wicca?

Doesn't it represent the several elements? It's got five points hasn't it? I haven't even looked at a Pentgram for a while. Would 4 of the points be fire, earth, air and water, and the 5th one be God or the Wiccan? Something tangible that I can find out!

ok so I've just looked it up:

The five points represent the 4 elements plus the spirit, and the circle connects them all.

These questions will help you to organize your thoughts, and help you to build a foundation for the learning that you will undertake as you step onto the path, that is known as Wicca.

No comments:

Post a Comment