Sunday, June 23, 2013

BASTET - Cat Goddess


Ok, Maybe it is just me, but I'm sure it isn't. When ever I see Bastet, I read Bastard. Poor Bastet. The Egyptians apparently didn't write vowel sounds so we can only guess. Well that is what google tells me anyway. Making all these pictures are fascinating.. I'm enjoying this overview :) Hope you are too!

More about Bastet:
  • In some traditions she is the daughter of Isis and Osiris, and the sister of Horus.
  • Usually depicted as the Cat, a sacred animal to the Egyptians. Earlier versions have her as the lioness - vicious and vengeful.
  • The hieroglyph of her name is a sealed perfume jar.
  • Her colour is turquoise.

(Lawson 1996)
image from http://www.etsy.com/listing/58338606/ancient-egyptian-goddess-bastet-art

No comments:

Post a Comment